Monday, January 29, 2007

Living?
I've created a bit of a space in the middle of the boat when I got it, by removing the old bed. This areas has largely served as a storage area while I worked on the rest of the boat. I've been pondering what to do with it and had several ideas about fixed settees etc. and other such things, but in the end decided to go for some movable items.

I got two futon cube things and a wooden chest. The futon cubes make useful seats and can also open out into sleeping mattresses, should guests find themselves stranded. The fact that all this stuff is movable means that the combinations are endless. Here is one option....



And another.....



erm... thats it actually, so not so endless after all. I guess the whole lot could be moved out of the way if there was some sort of hoe-down going on. We'll see.

Currently in the US at a conference, this post has been brought to you courtesy of Steven's laptop, as I left mine at home. :)

4 Comments:

Blogger MortimerBones said...

fantastic! But... are hte futon cubes comfortable to sit on, or does one find oneself slipping onto the floor?

11:13 AM  
Blogger flatplane8 said...

They're pretty good, a lot firmer than I would've expected, so you can sit on the edge without feeling you're going to slip off. I got them from the futon company http://www.futoncompany.co.uk/cube-bed-p29811.html

3:48 PM  
Blogger S said...

They look really good. But how comfortable are they for leaning back and putting your feet up? We're still agonising over Warrior's seating solutions - no progress yet! But I've got to the point of saying let's get rid of the ugliest chair at least and I'll sit in the back cabin - anything's better than looking at thet monstrosity. I think we might be thinking of some sort of semi-built in futon base, but now we have the table it might be a bit awkward having a long sofa ... it seems to be the most intractable problem of all!

8:35 PM  
Blogger flatplane8 said...

So far I haven't really spent a lot of time on them, but I think with the cushions up against the wall it'll be fine. Especially with the two futon cubes side by side.

I had originally planned to build a settee type thing in the space, but this was a more immediate solution and I can always change it later on if it doesn't suit. I do like the fact that I can shift things round a bit, and also that people could sleep over on the odd occasions when thats required. The downside is that there is less storage than with a fixed settee with space underneath, but thats not a real problem for me (yet...)

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home