Monday, July 30, 2007

Newbury #2
The return journey of the Newbury trip was split over a couple of days. I went back to Iris on the friday evening and picked her up from the dry dock. After confidently reversing out into the main canal from the boatyard, I discovered my confidence was somewhat overated as I struggled to turn around. After a couple of attempts, I decided to capitalise on my reversing skills and go back down the canal to where there was more room.

It was a little further than I thought. So if anyone here was wondering what the narrowboat was doing exiting Newbury in reverse, that was me. I did eventually get down to the pool above the next lock and managed to turn around.

As luck would have it, another boat came along, a very nice traditional style boat with a vintage Lister engine. Martin and Jane were making their way back down to Woolhampton, so we ended up travelling down together, which made all the locks and swing bridges a lot easier. After pretty much shooting the rapids through the infamous Woolhampton lock/electric swing bridge combination, we tied up for the night. Martin and Jane kindly asked me over for dinner and we managed to kill off a couple of bottles of wine on the way. During the course of the evening I happened to mention that it had taken us 14 hours to get from Reading to Newbury the previous week. Martin got that far away look in his eyes that guys sometimes get and said '14 hours eh? Is that some kind of record?' Jane just looked nervous. I bade my farewells and made my way back through the woods to my boat on the other side of the river.

I was up early the next morning and had a nice run down to Aldermaston to meet the others who were on their way out form London. There was a bit of drizzle, but that just added to the whole 'Apocalypse Now' feel.

Everyone arrived from London (Mary, my brother and his girlfriend and Helen and Greg) and we set off into the gloom. A few fairly self explanatory pictures here.









And so back to Reading in the rain, only minor damage done to the chimney after hitting the bridge by the London Street Brasserie, quite a current through there when the Kennett is flowing.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The visiting Kimbo and I believe you should respond to comments, and not be such a snobby bogan.

Dave

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for something worthy of a response. :)

How are you all?

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not bad, how is that for a comment?
Kimbo and Harv have just passed through on their way south, they are going to Australia, despite heading in the wrong direction.
Very little other news. I got a promotion. Boring really.

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home