Sunday, September 24, 2006

Well, been a busy couple of weeks, what with working in Sweden, getting ready to go to NZ and getting ready to move onto IRIS. I’ve been taking advantage of a week working at home to do some more painting that I originally planned, recoating most of the inside in ‘eggshell’ white. Fresh paint smells nice anyway.

I solved a problem with the engine room filling up with water – turns out one of the automatic bilge pumps wasn’t working, so it was gradually re-filling. With a bit of luck this will also explain the water that was found under the floor in the kitchen and bathroom areas.

The Sterling batter charger was replaced under warranty and apart from one scary moment when it tripped out under the load of the discharged cabin batteries, seems to be working fine.

As part of moving on board I’ve been getting rid of a lot of stuff, I didn’t think I have that much to start with, but local charity shops are now bursting at the seams with things that won’t really fit on a boat.

The under deck area still needs trim, but I’m going to see how I like sleeping under there first. My previous plans were lengthways down the boat, but the mattress seems to fit well into the space crossways. Even seems to work well with my height being close to the width of the boat.


Here is another shot, looking from the under deck area.

I’ve installed fenders on the bow and stern, I got these from http://www.fendermakerltd.co.uk, very quick service and no VAT!




This enabled me to turn the boat round and moor stern to the dock. This allows me to access the engine room, and then get into the main cabin via the side door.

For me the real benefit is that instead of the front doors opening out onto the dock, I now have a bit of ‘space’ as show by this picture taken early this morning.

I managed to back IRIS out and turn round on my own, which was fun, Dave from the boat next door helped with the lines from the dock in between working on his boat.. These things basically don’t steer in reverse, so occasional bursts of forward are required to swing the stern round..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home