Monday, August 14, 2006

I got up early today with the intention of getting as far as I could. I went through the first lock on my own, as it was out of hours. Luckily it was one of the electrically operated ones, but it was still a lot of work having to run from one end to the other during various stages.

Was lovely travelling along the Thames, seeing things I'd only previously seen on TV. Two small kids on a bridge in Staines were hanging around spitting on boats passing underneath. I gave them a wave, thinking it might buy them off, but no, I felt a gob land on my head as I went under. Luckily I was wearing a hat, and luckily we aren't allowed guns in this country.

Stopped for lunch opposite Magna Carta island.


After that, just continued on through Windsor and Maidenhead. I mentioned about needing to find a place to leave Iris while I went back to work to a lockeeper and he suggested asking at Cookham lock. Luckily they had space and I made it there by about 6:30pm. Adam the lockeeper and his wife kindly gave me a lift to the train station on their way into town, so it was back to Reading to get my car, then home to pack to come to Sweden in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home